OUR OCEAN NEEDS PROTECTION
SUPPORTING BLUE MARINE FOUNDATION
OUR OCEAN IS UNDER TREAT
The ocean, vast and beautiful, is the lifeblood of our planet.
But the ocean is under threat.
Climate change, acidification and all kinds of pollution are threatening the health of the ocean.
OVERFISHING IS STRIPPING OCEAN LIFE
But most damaging of all, industrial scale overfishing is stripping the ocean of life.
Disturbing the seabed by dragging heavy nets and trawls across it releases carbon, exacerbating climate change and acidification of the ocean.
WORLD’S LARGEST CARBON STOREHOUSE
The complex web of marine life enables the ocean to absorb around a third of the world’s carbon dioxide and produce over half the earth’s oxygen.
Coastal habitats such as seagrass, mangroves and saltmarsh suck up and store carbon for millennia, with some seagrasses capturing carbon 35 times faster than rainforest.
IT NEEDS PROTECTION
The ocean covers 70 % of the world’s surface, but currently only 2.7 % of its highly protected.
Creating a global network of Marine protected areas would safeguard ocean health and biodiversity, and combat climate change.
PARTNERING WITH BLUE MARINE
Blue Marine Foundation is a charity dedicated to restoring the ocean to health by securing marine protected areas, restoring marine habitats, tackling unsustainable fishing and connecting people with the ocean.
Blue Marine’s mission is to see at least 30 per cent of the world’s ocean under effective protection by 2030 and the other 70 per cent managed in a responsible way.
As a further deepening of our sincere love and respect to the ocean, we will support on short and long term with financial donations and awareness.
To find out more about how Blue Marine restored critical marine habitats, secured commitments to protect over four million square kilometers of ocean and developed models of sustainable fishing, check out their website.